April 17, 2008

We interrupt this blog for a News Update ...

It's been a busy few weeks here, with several posts causing concern, comment, and even consternation in different quarters. I think it's time for a brief update on some of the issues raised.

1. My friend remains gravely ill, but fortunately stable. With a serious brain injury such as his, each day without deterioration is considered a step forward, and we hope it will not be too long before he is allowed to become conscious. Thank you to those readers who have taken time to pass on their good wishes here and in private. Such crises are never far away from any of us.

2. Just as distressingly, the situation in Zimbabwe (his homeland) gets worse and worse, with the latest reports indicating widespread violence against those who voted for the opposition in the recent and still unresolved elections. So terribly sad for a wonderful country whose people have tried to do everything the democratic way, only to be crushed with violence and destruction.

3. As for the Open Directory Project (DMOZ), I have heard from a great many present and past editors since I left, and there is no doubt that many of them are still very passionate about the directory and what it could be. It would certainly be a wonderful thing if all that enthusiasm could be actively encouraged and channelled to build and improve the directory, and I am sure that the new management team has a similar goal. I am sincere in wishing them all the best with that, despite the irreverent definition I copied below. (Hey, I'm Australian - poking fun at authority is a national sport!)

4. Finally, I am pleased to report that "my" medical students were very amused at seeing their gaffes on the web, and immediately began speculating who was the author of each. One student proudly pointed out that in fact he was responsible for more than one of them. I guess I'll need to be wary of "deliberate" mistakes in future, lest internet fame beckons.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails